Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Release Day - The Request by Marquita Valentine



It’s release day! We’re happy to be hosting the FIRST part of the excerpt chain! Please be sure to check the excerpt chain schedule below.


Series: The Request #1

Genre: Contemporary Romance
Release Date: 6/25/14


Roman Smith ~ Shopkeeper by day. Assassin by night.

The undercover Russian contract killer has never turned down an assignment that rids the world of scum. But this … request is the first time his conscience gets the best of him.
Only, he has a good reason—Everly Andrews, the woman who saved him from dying and has no clue who or what he really is. There’s nothing Roman won’t do to keep Everly in the dark, even if it means losing her in the process.

This is a three-part series, releasing every month, perfect for the summer!
Part One: The Request – Releases June 25, 2014
Part Two: The Deception – Releases July 30, 2014
Part Three: The Confession – Releases August 27, 2014


Links





Preorder Links:  
The Deception: iTunes : https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/the-deception/id886300957?mt=11&ign-mpt=uo%3D4


EXCERPT


My eyes slide to the front door, but I have nothing to worry about, because Everly is long gone. She’s safe, I remind myself, even as I want to run after her to make things right.
 “I don’t have a problem with you,” I say to Petrov, who is dressed like a conservative businessman. Only I know the jackal underneath. I’ve seen his handiwork, but since I haven’t been contracted to put an end to him, he lives to terrorize.
“Russian, please.” He waves the gun around, his sports jacket creasing with the movement. “Never know who’s listening.”
I’m not about to remind him that the NSA has people who speak every language working for them, and that if they choose to spy on my shop, we’re both fucked.
Carefully take a half step back, I say, “Good to see you, old friend.”
“I have shit older than you,” Petrov says, eying me with disgust.
“If you’ve come here for information about the financier, then I’m very sorry to disappoint you.” I fold my arms over my chest. “Your brother had it coming. Be glad it was me, and not The Skinner.”
Petrov’s nostrils flare. “You expect me to be happy that you executed Daniil instead of Ivan?”
I nod. “At least he didn’t suffer.” Or rather, he didn’t suffer long. Short of falling asleep and never waking up, there’s no such thing as a painless death. “With Ivan…”
 Ivan is called The Skinner, because he takes great pleasure in skinning his victims while they’re alive. He loves the screams, the smell, the blood, and the clothes he can make.
Only one time in his presence, while my father forced me to watch Ivan perform, had been enough. My only consolation is that I was told the victim was a pedophile, but who knew if that were true or not.
“For that small mercy, I’ll make it quick.” He raises his gun, and I lunge forward, grab the packing razor and throw it at him. It embeds itself in the side of his face, the point sinking into his left eye.

He howls with pain. “Motherfucker.” He doesn’t bother to aim, just starts shooting, as I dive behind the counter. A bullet hits me in the thigh, searing pain ripping through me, and I see stars. Another hits my shoulder, rendering my arm useless.

No comments:

Post a Comment