Sunday, December 8, 2013

Review - A is For Alpha Male by Laurel Ulen Curtis

I’m Haley Whitfield, and I recently had the ingenious idea to enlist my mother, Allison, as my kick*ss sidekick and set out on a road trip. 

This road trip wasn’t to be just any road trip, but a very special one indeed. An adventure with an acutely specific purpose-- to find our other halves. The peanut butter to our jelly. The i to our Phone. The stripper to our pole. 

If our romantic desires were a personal ad, they would read something like this. 

** Two sassy women (Ages twenty-seven and forty-nine respectively--Ouch. Okay, ages twenty-seven and thirty--with nineteen years experience-- respectively) seeking Alpha Males to love us with zeal and kiss us with skill. Gorgeous face and sexy, tattooed, hard body a must. If you aren’t a dangerous bad*ss with the x-rated skills and virility to match, don’t bother. Must be willing to protect us from danger, value our quirkiness, and keep your mouth shut when said quirkiness is what leads to said danger. Momma’s boys named Dan Smith need not apply.** 

I know. It’s a bit wordy. In fact, it would probably cost a fortune. Luckily, we’re not ready for the personal ad. We’re not that desperate...yet. 

This is my story. 

Warning: Some explicit language and sexual content.




Haley Whitfield has been searching for the man of her dreams, issue is that other than a few dates she fails to find any that measure up to her book boyfriends particularly those of Kristen Ashley novels and let's face it, those men are hot, alpha, and all the qualities of the perfect man.  Haley decides it's time to take a road trip with her mother Allison to find their perfect men since they are both huge fans of Kristen Ashley.  They sit down together and compile a list of qualities the man must meet in order to qualify starting with A is for Alpha Male all the way down to Z.  They set off on their journey and right away after they compile their list I'm thinking to myself either #1 this book is going to be the 'I am obsessed with Kristen Ashley experience' or #2 'the sex with anything that walks adventure' my surprise was discovering this book was doing like that.

Haley and Allison spend all their time together getting to know one another and stumble upon a bar where they get right down to work on finding a man who is perfect for their list.  After several attempts on Haley's part and watching her mother across the bar, she is approached by a man who has plenty of qualities from the list, except for one of the biggest one his name is Dan Smith.  He totally does not have that cool alpha male name.  At first I thought it was a joke, but his name is really Dan Smith.

This is the part where you're expecting them to fall madly in love and live happily ever after right?  Then there's Dan's uncle who gets setup with Haley's mother and they hit it off.  You expect perhaps to see hearts and flowers here too right?  Wrong.  They spend several days there and then they move on with Haley promising to call him so they can make sure the men she meets have met the qualifying factors off of the list and he vows to read Kristen Ashley novels while she is gone.  This is the part where you pronounce him gay right?

He doesn't appear gay to me, just somehow unsure of how to tell Haley he has growing feelings for her.  For me I'm screaming out just man up and tell her not to go and meet other men!  Don't encourage her to go out and find lots of men until she finds the right one.  Dan may not be on the journey with them, but he's there every step of the way making sure she stays safe and doesn't end up with a crazy psycho.  They develop a friendship and Haley even meets a man, who she nicknames Zack Morris, you know the guy right?  Saved By the Bell?  I almost died when he had no clue who that was, everyone knows who that guy is, well except this dude.  They don't hit it off and the entire time Dan and Haley are apart she starts to compare him to the list and begins to realize that she wants to spend time with Dan even if he's determined to help her find her dream man.  

At the end of their journey neither of the women find their man, but have bonded and had plenty of laughs along the way.  Dan wants Haley to come and spend time with him, sending her mother home the following day.  They spend lots of time together and laugh and have fun, but can their relationship become so much more than just friends?  What happens when Dan has secrets of his own and they are exposed?

Loved this book to death.  I don't think I have ever laughed so much, even my husband was laughing when I read him some of it and believe me he's not into romance novels at all.  His idea of romance doesn't involve hearts and flowers or even looking for the man of your dreams that's totally a chick thing.  I loved the women and Haley's brother who loves his sister so much and only wants her happiness. (please Laurel let him have a book!)  I wasn't so sure when I started this book if I would enjoy it, but I loved every single second and cannot wait until Allison's book comes out.  If you have ever read any of Laurel's work, you will fall in love with this novel, if you read this one and enjoy it I also highly recommend Impossible because that's how I first found out about Laurel so when she asked me to read this one I jumped all over it.  She also made me want to go out and buy more of Kristen Ashley's work.  I give this one 5 laugh out loud amazing stars!

***ARC provided by author in exchange for a honest review***
Laurel Ulen Curtis is a 26 year old mother of one. She lives with her husband and son (and cat and two fish!) in New Jersey, but grew up all over the United States. She graduated from Rutgers University in 2009 with a Bachelor of Science in Meteorology, and puts that to almost no use other than forecasting for her friends! She has a passion for her family, laughing, and reading and writing Romance novels.

No comments:

Post a Comment