Monday, May 20, 2013

My review: Battlescars By Sophie Monroe


Title: Battlescars
Author: Sophie Monroe
Genre: Contemporary
Publication date: March 12, 2013

Book Description:

Aubrey Thompson is a twenty-three year old flight attendant for her dad’s small commercial fleet. She’s a sarcastic smartass that has no problem telling you where to go. She also despises rock stars…but that’s all part of the story. Her Granny Jean is spy and will have you laughing out loud. 

In comes Jake Parker, the twenty-five year old lead singer of Battlescars. His reputation is the untamable bad-boy. He’s completely “balls to the wall” in everything that he does. Two days after returning home from a month long tour across Europe he gets a visit from Bruce, an executive from the record label. He informs Jake that Battlescars is going back on tour for three months. What everyone doesn’t know is that Jake is worn down and sick of the same old shit. 

His record label hires Aubrey’s dads company to fly him around for the last minute tour. In order to keep her dad's company afloat they will have to learn to play nice. When Jake first meets Aubrey she refuses to even acknowledge his existence. He sees her as refreshing and a challenge. 

Both of them have some pretty heavy scars from their pasts holding them back. Can Jake get Aubrey to let him in? Or will she shoot him down based on his outlandish reputation? Will her fear of getting hurt again keep him out for good? 

Are the two of them a match in heaven or hell?

Buy Your Copy:


Review:



In this book we meet Aubrey Thompson just fresh off of her latest job as a flight attendant for her dad’s small commercial fleet.  She’s tired and ready to go home and rest for a couple days when her dad springs on her that she will need to leave the very next day for a possible three month job for a rockstar’s three month tour.  At the same time, Jake Parker is also finding out from Bruce an executive at his records label that he has been scheduled with his band Battlescars for another three month tour that he must leave for immediately.  It becomes clear right away that Jake is tired of living the rockstar life.  He never gets to rest, he has no life with the constant touring, and he’s just all around lonely.

When Aubrey finds out she will be touring with none of than Jake Parker lead singer for the band Battlescars she about loses it.  While Aubrey may seem like a badass chick with her tattoos and black hair with pink streaks Aubrey is hiding a deep dark secret that few know about and to protect herself from men (especially rockstars) she comes off as a sarcastic smartass with a bad attitude but it becomes clear pretty quickly that she does it to protect herself.  

In the days that follow their meeting they start to get to know one another and Jake begins to prove to her that the image that the media has painted of him is not what Jake is really like.  He’s always there for Aubrey when she needs him most caring for her and being gentle in hopes that she will open up and tell him what happened to her that has her so wounded and defensive.  Jake opens up to Aubrey about his past and tells her that her mother was a drug addict who got knocked up by a John and he was forced to live on the streets and fend for himself until a man named Ron came into the picture and helped him out giving him a place to live and giving him the start in music that led to the career he had now.  Aubrey in time learns to trust Jake and finally breaks down and shows him what has happened to her.  Her ex boyfriend a man named Jeremy was very abusive towards her one night when he was strung out on drugs.  Cutting her up and beating her so badly that she had to get tattoos to cover up the nasty marks he left her with.  By opening up herself and letting go of her past Jake and Aubrey begin to build their future together.  But when Jeremy finds his way back into the picture, will he ruin the future that Jake and Aubrey have been planning?  You’ll just have to read to find out.

While I did enjoy the overall story, I was just expecting more of Aubrey than what I got.  I understand that her sarcasm and attitude was because of the hurt and pain she experienced in the past, I just was expecting so much more out of her character in the book than what I got.  It wasn’t that the story wasn’t believable, I just expected to see more of an attitude than what I was given.  Furthermore, I wasn’t expecting Jake to be the way he was.  He was so sweet all the time and so attentive it just didn’t fit into the picture I would have pictured for Jake to be as a character.  While that isn’t a bad thing, it just made the story less exciting for me especially compared to some of the other great books I have read lately.  Lastly, while I was able to overlook the grammatical errors in the story, sometimes I had a difficult time trying to figure out where the next paragraph began.  That didn’t take away from the overall story, but I did find myself distracted at times and it took away from my overall enjoyment of the story since it took me twice as long to read it.  I really enjoyed the climax of the story but in the last 25% of the book I started to lose interest.  A portion of the book was so exciting that I was expecting it to continue but after the suspense filled portion the book just kind of started to die down for me.  Overall it was an okay read I give it 3.5 stars, and I might check out the next book which is about Piper and Blake but only because it’s hinted that there is some BDSM in it.  That’s a big might though since if it’s anything like this book I don’t think I will spend my time reading it.  I did borrow this book on Prime so I am not upset that I read it, the book really wasn’t that bad, but it just wasn’t that great for me.  I am also sad to say that it is no longer available to borrow on Prime which is another reason I most likely won’t be reading book 2.  If it’s available on Prime I would get it, but if not I probably won’t.

No comments:

Post a Comment